So, for halloween the boys were so excited. Trace was Prince Phillip, I found this great Disney Prince Phillip costume on ebay exactly his size. I couldn't resist. Brody was of course a pirate and Cole a knight! We have decided that we will not be trick or treating in the traditional sense with our children, at least not for the coming years while we can control it. I was doing a lot of thinking about what we wanted to establish as Halloween traditions and what we wanted to focus on for the holiday, considering there is so much I DON'T want to focus on about Halloween. Also, since the kids dress up every day of the year, I didn't want to suddenly tell them they couldn't dress up just b/c of Halloween. So, we decided the following:
1. We will not be trick or treating beyond our col-de-sac. We know our neighbors and they love our children thus making it safe and comfortable. Beyond our col-de-sac are lots of scary, spooky and just plain nasty decorations on people's homes and I do not want my children thinking about those things.
2. We will be carving pumpkins the day before Halloween as a tradition
3. If we decorate it will be pumpkins, spiders and webs, lights, or other Fall Festive decorations, not scary or death related decorations.
4. The kids can dress up and we will be attending Trunk or Treat at a near by church (right now it is Palmcroft Baptist Church, their programs are great).
I think this collection of ways to enjoy Halloween keeps things positive and uplifting in a potentially dark holiday. I want to protect my kids hearts and minds, not expose them!
So here are some cutie patootie pics of the kids on Halloween! Super precious.
1 comment:
great pics!!!
Post a Comment