NCS Tax Credit Donation

Cole's Birthday--4 years old

I'm both sad and excited to say that Cole will be 4 years old on the 18th of July. We celebrated his birthday early this year on the 11th because we will be camping on his birthday weekend! Back to being both sad and excited. How can it be that he will be 4? I think I can see myself saying that every year because they going so much faster than I want them to. I often think, "did I hug him enough, hold him enough, laugh, smile, cuddle, encourage, build him up enough this year?". I wonder if 3 was the best year it could possibly be for him because you can't get it back. It is done, he's officially 4 now. I know it is important to look forward and be passionate about what is to come for our children. But I want to also cherish the moment and do so more often than I even think I do. Truth be told there are so many wonderful things to come, as the years press on and he is more able, capable and big enough to "do". Justin and I look forward to those days. But, there are so many wonderful things about right now! He's so passionate, silly, imaginative, willing to try anything, excited about most things, easy to cuddle still, and willing to also. There are hard things too about raising children of course. 3 was a tough age for him and us when it comes to discipline. It went differently than I expected it to. Although I wish we could get away with never disciplining, reproofing, or punishing our children as parents we are called to do those things. I have grown in my approach to discipling this year, mostly due to our ups and downs with Cole. My understanding of what God has called us to for discipline has been awakened. Although it hasn't arrived by any means it has been re-born in a way.
I admit I was seeing discipline as negative. And even though I could say it didn't need to be negative I often found myself extremely overwhelmed with appropriate discipline and consistency, especially having other children in the mix. But over time God has revealed to me both through Godly friends of mine, Christian reading, and having an open mind that discipline is an act of heart reformation not behavior modification. There isn't a single act of disobedience that doesn't require attention to the heart of the matter. I have come across some great tools to help keep us on track with heart reformation and to working to build in our children a passion for Christ which leads to obedience out of love for Him. You might think my children are too young, but you are wrong. God says that His word does not return void. So, we speak God's work into their lives. Give biblical principles as to why they must obey, what that looks like, and what issues in the heart we must Put off and Principles of God to put on. This has changed our home. Although at times Cole's sinful nature wants to battle God's word in his life it does not win. Anyhow...wow bunny trail. I digress to simply placing a little link here to some of the tools we have found http://www.gcp.org/ and http://www.gcp.org/ and http://www.shepherdpress.com/.
So although at times trying, his 3rd year has been incredible. Camping, Gymnastics, Disneyland, The Renaissance Fair, Gymboree, Children's Museum, Swim Lessons, and so much more. He's a blessed little guy with lots of personality and a zest for life. I desire to completely embrace who God has designed him to be with no preconceptions for what might interest him or capture his attention now or down the line. Thank you Lord for such a wonderful, precious little life in Cole. The past 4 years have changed my life!

These are the pictures from the party. We invited big boys only but there are a few little guys by default as they are siblings to the Big Boys. So total big boys are 7 and 3 guys my twins age and 2 really little guys that played with toys in the front room! :) Lots of boys and lots of fun.


Pooped after the Party

Blowing Candles

Sir Coley Knight

My Little Knight

Excited about Birthday Cake

4 Years Old

Castle cake my mom made...again pretty great!

The Knights (and a few little guys)

Sitting with his Dragon Egg

Landon and his Dragon Egg

The Dragon left a dozen eggs scattered through the yard.

Coloring their castles for our Freeze Game.

They each got to chose their knight breast plate as they arrived.

Pin the fire on the dragon. My mom drew this, isn't is great!

Knight Clothes. Each friend was knighte and given a breast plate, belt, knight sword, and crown.

Landon in his Knight Clothes

1 comment:

Lisa said...

These pictures are AWESOME! What an awesome job you and your mom did putting this together. I'm so impressed! And I love all that you wrote, I love to hear your heart about things, and I'm right there with you on it all! Love you ,and I'm thankful for our friendship!