My sweet Brynn turn two this weekend, but we decided to throw her a birthday party while Doug and Stacey (Justin's parents) were here visiting. Since they live far away I always like to do things like that while or when they visit so they get to be a part of the kids special days.
I ordered this awesome butterfly cake for her. That has kind of been her theme since birth. It is fitting because the Lord says we will become a new creation in him (2 Cor. 5:17)and the best example of that to me has always been the butterfly. So, she's our little butterfly. I was so excited about the cake. Baker Wee is where I've gotten our last four cakes for the kids birthdays and they so amazing. And they taste good too which is awesome. I don't just want a cake that looks good!
We invited cousins, grandparents and a few friends to come and have burgers and hot dogs with us. It was just a casual celebration of her life with the people closest to us.
I've never really explained how I feel about birthdays. I've grown to appreciate them and the celebration as I've had my own children. Instead of giving in to the commercialization of birthdays and thinking my children need to be showered in gifts and hopped up on sugar I've embraced the joy that comes from celebrating my kids birthdays and once each year try to make is special. I see my children as a blessing, planned by God to be here at this time, in our family, and with purpose for His kingdom. When I think about the specially crafted life God has for them and the high calling we have as their parents I realize the day they were born is VERY SPECIAL.
For each of my children I waited. I waited, at times, long past their due dates with anticipation. Never hurrying to bring them in on my time, even though I definitely wanted to at times, but waiting for God's chosen day for their life to begin. I was encouraged by someone that God had a day picked out and He was the potter of their lives. I trusted this wisdom and waited for them to arrive. The days they finally came were Joyous, unforgettable, and truly some of the most blessed days of my life. Because of that, birthdays are truly special.
I want to celebrate what God has done in them, His purpose for them, and the blessing they have been to our family. Granted, and Justin is right on this one, this doesn't always have to be a party with friends and family. Rather he would prefer something special with just our family from time to time or almost all the time. Of course as they grow they will request certain activities for birthdays. But until then we will spend more birthdays as a family, rocking it out to celebrate their precious little lives!
With all that said, Brynn loved her birthday. And at one point Justin said, while the kids were singing Happy Birthday, you could tell she suddenly realized everyone was there for her! So precious. She was thrilled.
We are so thankful to our friends that came to celebrate with us. Brynn is definitely a blessing to our home and a great addition to our family of boys. We thank God for her and look forward to raising a precious, God fearing, loving young girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment