NCS Tax Credit Donation

The Music of Motherhood

I've been spending some time creating playlists on my computer and it takes some time to think about the kind of music I want to listen to during the day, while I work on my computer, or the while the kids play.   As much as I try to give some variety, a little pop, maybe some Acapella, some kids songs, I always come back to the music of my childhood.

I've always known music sinks and nourishes roots, creates memories, makes life seem Alive and Real.  I LOVE music.  Listening to it, singing it, humming it, letting the words infect my spirit.

One of my most comforting memories of childhood was coming home to my mom listening to music.  It filled the house with a sense of relaxation, ease of mind, and a JOY about the day.  

The house was filled with the sun and she'd hum or sing the words as she worked away at cleaning the house or whatever mom's do (I never knew until now).  Always moving, humming, making music, creating memories.  

I grew to LOVE the music of the 70's.  It is strange for someone my age, I think, to like James Taylor more than any other artist in the world. There is no one I'd rather listen to when it comes down to it.  I will ALWAYS choose him over something else although I do intentionally give my family some variety by playing other things.  But, I enjoy almost everything from that era (later sixties and the seventies).

Now, as I sit here listening to the Carpenters, Peter Paul and Mary, James, Carole King, Kenny Loggins,  the warmth of my mom comes over me.  Her happy face, her comforting home, and the happiness she filled my childhood with.   
 
I treasure it and it always causes me to remember her...I'm thankful for that.  For now I still have her with me, but in 30 years when that is less likely to be the case, I'm thankful I can so easily draw up memories of her through music. 

I hope to do the same for my own children. Not only create an atmosphere that is playful, happy, and easy, but to sink deep their memories and roots through music and photos. (My mom did an amazing job keeping pictures of my sister and I as we grew, she barely missed a moment. I can see my whole childhood in three photo albums, which become memories.)

Just having music on in the background, singing together, playing things repetitiously as to create memories and a comfort for them, as I have. That they will easily think of me when they are older.  

God has been good to us and I have a husband who also treasures music and bring life to our home when he plays. I've not supported him in that as I should.  We sing together to the children. The same songs since they were small with the hope they will tuck them into their hearts.  Maybe even sing them to their children. He's such an amazing gift to them, my husband to our children.  He moves slower than me and brings the pace down so they can sit and enjoy the music.  I'm thankful for him and his harmonies!

Just some late night thoughts I figured I ought to keep with me on this here blog of mine.  

Thank you mom for your love of music. For making things comfortable, happy and easy.  Thank you for all the wonderful memories of my childhood (I know time flew for you as it is doing for me as a mother). If we could only hit pause once and a while...I think the music is the closest thing we can get. It always brings us back.  Love you mom.


No comments: