What is it these days with our selfish society? I mean I know that no one is perfect, and certainly not me by any means. It just seems that the older I get the more I come to the thought that people don't know how to make decisions based on the best interest of those invovled. For example...we all know that second hand smoke is potentially deadly and we certainly live in a world where the effects us second hand smoke are no longer a mystery, yet parents, grandparents, and caregivers still insist on smoking around their children. The child has no choice about whether he/she is exposed to second hand smoke-they are at the mercy of the caregiver-who no matter how much you tell someone still chooses to put the little child at risk for the sake of a flick of the lighter and a drag. It makes my stomach church.
We have a lady across the street from us who for days had a sign on her garage saying "Nana's daycare" trying to get people to chose her home as a daycare. All is well and good with that. I'm no one to snub home based business. But, then, the other day as we are driving home from church she and her husband are outside smoking cigarettes in their garage, coming in and out of the house. Anyone see a problem here? Who would chose to put their child in daycare in a smoker's home? I do not understand the logic.
It seems logic and selflessness have gone out the window. It is an "all about me" culture and unfortunately the people who suffer most are the ones who have no choice-the kids. Whether it is broken marriages resulting in single parent homes and latch key kids b/c they "fell out of love", women who chose to move in with a boyfriend instead of making it on their own exposing thier children to a stream of men and short lived relationships, or exposing our children to poor eating habits and poor nutrition resulting in obesity b/c we are too selfish to go to the effort to set limits and say no, it all ends with the word selfishness. I hate to be so harsh but frankly I'm tired of seeing children suffering from the self-centered disease. Not only do they reap the consequences of those selfish choices but they learn them too and now we have a completely irresponsible, self-centered culture of children growing up with the metality that they deserve anything and everything just for being alive.
I have met more people in the last two years who have a list a mile long of the things they deserve or don't deserve in life simply b/c they are a person. Everyone has this sense of entitlement but nobody wants to work for anything. It doesn't help that they have piss-poor role models in the public media-although we all know the strongest role models are found in the home (but how can that happen with so many latch-key kids and absent parents?).
Well, Ican't save them all-I just wish people would wake up and grow up.
2 comments:
I love that you wrote this. I feel this same way a lot and sometimes I just have to not think about it because it too makes my stomach churn. I am grateful that I was raised in a good home and have an example of how to raise my own children. I guess all we can do is pray for this little innocent children out there that the Lord will care for them. Thank Chelsea. You are so great!
Amen sista!
Post a Comment